Books Time – City of Ghosts by V. Schwab

Image source


I knew Victoria Schwab already for her Shades of Magic series (of which, anyway, I still have to read the third and final volume, piled up with the other million books waiting for me to finally read them... please tell me I'm not the only one in this situation); having liked her previous series, I kind of knew that I would have liked this little one as well, but I didn't imagine I would have liked it to that extent.

Because I have to admit, I really enjoy reading this short young adult book, and I am keen of reading the following book of the series as soon as they will be published. The City of Ghosts series is much simpler than Shades of Magic I would dare saying, and possibly addressed to a younger public, but that doesn't take anything from the pleasure of the reading.

Main character of the story is young Cassidy Blake, a girl like any other if it wasn't for the fact that she can see ghosts. When she was younger she risked to die dawning in a river, and she was saved just on time by the ghost of a boy more or less her age, Jacob. From that moment, not only Cass and Jacob became best friends, but Cassidy also developed the ability to feel and see other ghosts. She describes it as a “Veil”, across which she can explore the world of ghosts, see their story.

Cassidy's parents are interested in paranormal activity, and they write books about their studies (her father staying on the scientific side of the story, her mother exploring the folklore, myth and legends behind it). Funnily enough though, they can't see ghosts, and they don't know that Cassidy can. So when that summer they announce that they won't have their traditional holiday by the beach, but they're recording a TV show about ghosts in Scotland, Cassidy is a bit scared. Because Scotland is one of the most haunted cities in the world, and Cass is sure her vacation won't be a relaxing, normal one.

On the first place, I have to say that the characters of the book are absolutely lovely, Cassidy and Jacob on the first place, but the reader can't avoid liking secondary ones as well. As much as one can follow with interest their adventures though, I believe that the strongest point of the book is the setting, Edinburgh. If you have never been there, you will see the city taking life in front of your eyes as you read the story, but if you visited it before, it will be amazing seeing again the wonders of that magic city as Victoria Schwab draws it perfectly in front of you.

The story is short and not presumptuous, it presents itself as an entertaining book that can keep you a pleasant company for a couple of hours, and it does it perfectly. I truly recommend this reading, and in general Victoria Schwab books, cause this author is able to create beautiful universes in which set her stories, and memorable characters that one can't but love and remember.

Let me know if you read this book as well and if you liked it, and if you knew Victoria Schwab already. Did you read her Shades of Magic series, and did you like it? Can't wait to talk about this series as well as soon as I'm reading the final book.
Talk to you again very soon, take care and happy readings!
M.

Comments

Popular Posts