My Amazing Time in Japan – Part I



At the end of October I finally realised one of my biggest dreams ever: visiting Japan. I wanted to explore this magic, awesome country since I was a teenager, so the day I boarded the flight bringing me to Tokyo I almost couldn't believe it!
My expectations were beyond high in regards to what I would have seen, done and experienced in Japan, and I have to say, I wasn't disappointed at all! I loved every minute of my (too short!) holiday, and I would like to share with you all the fabulous places I've seen, food I tasted and experienced I made.

I visited 5 cities there: Tokyo, Kamakura, Hakone, Kyoto and Nara, some for a few days, others for a one-day trip. Before jumping into the detailed description of those awesome places though, I would like to enlist a few tips and information that might be useful if you're planning to visit Japan, and especially if you, like me, are solo travellers.

Shinjuku by night
Money – In Japan, the current value is the yen. One sterling pound corresponds to roughly 145 yen. Staying there is not too expensive – just transportation tends to be on the expensive side – but food and shopping won't let you penniless at the end of the holiday.
The big cities take cards with no issue, but most of the country is still based on a cash trade. Many restaurants, especially the small local ones (which are the best and you absolutely have to try) and temples, for examples, only took cash payments. I would suggest you to take some cash before you travel, or you might find yourself in need of withdraw at a certain point.

Transportation – Japan can count on one of the best transport organisation in the world. Very rarely their trains are delayed (and if they are, its just for a bunch of minutes, not for hours like it happens in other Countries!). The subway is made of 13 different lines, plus different regional or interregional train lines, and of course, the amazing Shinkansen, the Bullet Train (other than buses and trams).
To move freely in a town you can either purchase daily tickets or travelcards, and we will talk about them in more details in the following posts. Using a travelcard is very convenient, not only because you can move freely from a train to another, but also because you can advantage from some useful discounts in certain museums and temples.

Mount Fuji
Food – Who thinks that Japanese food is just made of sushi, is terribly wrong. Japan cuisine can count on such a massive number of delicious food, including a wide range of meat (mostly grilled, and its fantastic!), soups, seafood, omelettes, veggies, desserts... and no, they don't eat everything raw! You can order a massive bowl of delicious ramen (with omelette, veggies or meat, you can find a million combination) for as little as 400 yen (something like £2.50), its very filling and very tasty. Also, majority of restaurants offer tap water or green tea for free, so I would suggest to not order your drinks straight away (unless you really want to try something specific of course).

Visa – People coming from Europe don't need a visa for a stay up to 90 days. I am not sure about other Countries, but the embassy website lists them all in much detail.

Todaiji Temple, Nara
Medication – Japan is pretty strict about medicines brought from abroad. Their medications vary slightly from ours, and for instance, their painkillers are weaker, so Japan doesn't not allow the entrance in the Country of medicines from abroad. If you will need to bring medications with you, ask your doctor to write down a prescription for you, to show to whom it might concern in case you're asked.

Wifi – It might be one of the most technologic Countries in the world, but when it comes to Wifi Japan is still a bit behind. Big cities can offer Wifi with no issue (I even used wifi in the subway), but smallest towns are not that advanced yet. You might need to use your own data, and always check with your phone provider how much it will cost to use them oversea. Also, in Japan it is possible to buy local sim cards at the airport (or in other stores), to freely use their local phone providers, website data and to make phonecalls. All hotels provide free wifi, and some restaurants too, but definitely not all of them.

Tokyo bay and Hamarikyu Gardens
Weather – The best time to visit Japan is Spring or Autumn. Spring though is the very high season, as everybody travels there to see the cherry blossoms; cities become overcrowded, and prices go up as well. Autumn is as beautiful, with the reddish foliage covering the country, but prices stay lower during this period. Winter can be very cold, and Summer is their rainy season (especially June and July), so always double check if you'd like to travel during these times.

I think I gave you all the general information I could possibly do in this first post. In the following ones we are talking in more detail of the five cities I visited, the travelcards I used, the places I recommend. Next we will thus talk about the capital of Japan, beautiful Tokyo. If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I will be more than happy to answer them.

Other related links:
My Amazing Time in Japan VI – Nara

Comments

Popular Posts