My Amazing Time in Japan II – Tokyo



First step of my amazing trip has been Tokyo – and how could it not be?
I arrived at Narita Airport from Helsinki, and took a Kinsei train to Asakusa, where my hotel was. Finding the station was very easy, the directions are printed in bright orange in both Japanese and English. I bought a ticket to the desk, which costed roughly 1.275 yen (£ 8.63 more or less), and took a 1.00 hour journey to central Tokyo.

I was met by amazing weather and a city already bustling with activities. I was so excited that despite not sleeping since I left England 12 hours before, I went to the hotel, left my baggage (it was too early to check in, but I could leave my bags there and go for a wonder), and started exploring the capital of the Country of the Rising Sun.

Akihabara, the Electic City, by night

My day 1 was spent basically trying to get familiar with the Tokyo subway, which is pretty easy to use to be honest – nothing different from any other subway you already used. I purchased a daily ticket, to be free to pass from a line to another with no hassle, and paid 800 yen for that. The following day though I decided to purchase a Manaca card, which is a pre paid card comparable to London Oyster; you can top it up with the amount desired, and use it to travel around. The good thing of this card is that it is accepted as a normal pre paid card, and not just a travel card, in many shops and selling machines, so you can use it in different ways.

Sweet Hachiko, faithfully waiting for his master to come home

I took the Ginza Line (one of the 13 Tokyo Subway lines) in Asakusa and went to my first stop, Akihabara, the Electric City, which was just a few stops away. Akihabara had to be one of my first stops, as I was just too curious to see the massive screens, the colored signals and cartels, the bright lights. Also, Akihabara is home of the famous Otaku neighbourhood, where dozens of manga and anime shops are situated. That is also the reason why the majority of screens display idols singing, or anime trailers. I absolutely loved it.

The Scrumble, the biggest and busiest crossing point in the world

After that, I jumped on the subway again and went all the way to Shibuya, which is situated basically on the opposite side of the city, but is reachable on the same Ginza Line, so I just sat comfortably in the train and waited 40 min or so. In Shibuya I obliviously went to see the famous Hachiko statue, the faithful dog, and the massive Scrumble.

Feeling hungry? Have some tasty Takoyaki at any street food stall

It was very difficult take a decent pic of Hachiko, as there were so many people cueing to take a pic with it, but I managed! Then I moved a few meters ahead, to see the Scrumble.
The Scrumble is the biggest crossing point in Japan (and some say it is the biggest and busiest in the world), and it was impressive to see that amount of people (hundreds!) to cross the street at the same time as the light went green.

The Sky Tree, the tallest tower in Tokyo

To finish my day in the best way (after a bit of shopping), I went to see the famous Tokyo Tower, one of the symbols of the city, and the highest tower in Tokyo before the Sky Tree was built. The Sky Tree is by the way situated in Asakusa, so that was one of the first things I saw when arrived in Japan. I decided to not go on the top of it though, but to see the landscape from another point, which I explored on my second day. I finished my day I in a lovely restaurant by the hotel, where I had the most delicious Tonpeiyaki, a kind of omelette, and easier version of an Okonomiyaki.

Senso-Ji Temple, in Asakusa

The Pagoda belonging to the Senso-Ji Temple complexion

The first thing I did on my Day II, soon after breakfast, was to go visit the beautiful Senso-ji Temple, which is again situated in Asakusa. It is one of the most beautiful and important temples in Tokyo, and I absolutely suggest you to go and see it. It is Buddhist temple, as you might say from the absence of Tori gates, and there I purchased an omamori, a lucky charm in the form of a cute little fabric bag on which a protective symbol is sewed.

The welcoming, massive Tori Gate of the Meji Jingu Shrine

After that, I moved to visit another temple, the Meji Jingu Shrine, which actually is the most important Shinto Shrine in Tokyo. It is a beautiful, massive area made of some small temples and the main biggest one, protected by the beautiful entrance Tori gate.

Harajuku, Hamarikyu gardens

The temple is situated in Harajuku, another fashionable area of the city, and I moved on there to go visit the Hamarikyu gardens. The gardens are a joy for the eyes, so beautiful, well curated, with the trees shaped like bonsai. There is a small tea house in the middle of the lake where it is possible to admire the performance of the Tea Ceremony, and just walking distance from it there is a big mall, where you can shop or eat, but most importantly, take a lift to the highest floor and admire the stunning view of the Tokyo bay and the gardens itself.

Harajuku, Studio Ghibli Clock

Little note: in that same building you can see a pretty famous clock, inspired by the Studio Ghibli characters. The clock animates at 12.00 every day (and some other time of the day as well), putting up a lovely show that you won't miss if you're a fan of their amazing movies.

No, its not sales day. Its just a normal day in Omotesando, this is the super busy Takeshita Street, home of many teen shops

Take your time to have a walk in the city, and amaze of the wonder of the million lights popping up as the sun goes down. At night Tokyo becomes a beautiful Christmas tree, so colored and charming you won't believe your eyes. But have a wonder in the quieter streets as well, and stop at the local restaurants, with the welcoming white lanterns on the entrance, and serving you the most delicious food you can imagine. I obviously went for some sushi that night, and it was the best I ever had.

Fan of green tea? You need to try out Matcha ice cream!

You also need to pop in Shinjuku (2 stops from Shibuya with the JR train line), another fantastic side of the city, so bright and lively and young, you will love it! Perfect for shopping, Harajuku hosts the famous road called Omotesando, where high end shops find their best position.I spent my Day III exploring these two neighbourhoods, getting lost in streets crowded with people, eating matcha tea ice cream and tasty Takoyaki (octopus battered bites).

A lovely corner of Asakusa, lights getting on as the night comes 

Next we're talking about Kamakura, a small town just 30 min away from Tokyo, where I saw some other amazing places and did a little hiking, to witness a breathtaking view from the top of the small mountain. Will talk about this very soon, for now I'm hoping you might find this post interesting, feel free to ask any question, and as always, take care
M.

Comments

Popular Posts