Massive Spring Wardrobe Decluttering


Since the first time I read a post on Caroline's blog Un-Fancy, I decided I wanted to build my own capsule wardrobe. I think that today everybody knows what a capsule wardrobe is, but just to clarify it, is consists of creating your own wardrobe only made up of few clothes, but that you really love and use every day. Cause let's be honest: we all have lived that moment when we need to dress up for a date or an event, and stared panicking at our closet thinking “I've got nothing to wear!”. And we all know that the truth is, we own loads of clothes. Too many, to be honest, and we don't even look at or touch half of them.


So, following Caroline's directions, I cleared up my wardrobe, and built my first Capsule Wardrobe. I was very proud of it, and I was enjoying every single piece of my closet, cause it was only containing clothes I really loved and used on a daily basis. Nevertheless, something must have gone bad somewhere, sometime, because I ended up having a massive amount of clothes again, despite trying to stick to the 37 pieces rule (which is not a fixed rule, but it helps me keeping shopping under control, and my closet organised).

What I decided to do now, is getting ready for building my spring Capsule Wardrobe, and before doing it I will get rid of all the clothes I don't need and I don't wear. Those are the 4 categories of clothes that I (and I thing anybody) don't need in my wardrobe.



Wrong Size Clothes
Cause we all ended up getting a jeans, a skirt, even a pair of shoes, of the wrong size. Maybe because we picked it wrong, and realised when it was too late (and were too lazy to bring it back); maybe because it was given to us as a gift, and we have no heart to change it. Maybe because we lost (or gained) some weight; or maybe because the piece of clothes in our size was out of stock, but we truly loved it and decided to buy it even in the wrong size... ending up letting it sleep in our closet, unused and with its prize tag still attached on it.
If a piece of clothing is not the right size, we don't need it, cause we will never use it. Its only sleeping in our drawers, and its a shame. Better giving it to someone who fits in it, and is going to use and love it better.

Clothes you don't Like Anymore
You don't need clothes you don't like anymore in your wardrobe. You don't need clothes, shoes or bags you don't like, even if they were gifted to you. If they just sit there, unused and unloved, they're taking up space for better pieces of clothing on the first place, and on the second place if you don't like them today you probably won't like them in five years time either, so get rid of them.

Damaged Clothes
You need no damaged clothes in your wardrobe. Yes, you love those pair of jeans, but they're so worn up and ruined they don't even look good on you anymore, so why keeping them in your closet? You lost the buttons of one of your favorite shirt, and you're keeping it cause you're planning to buy new ones and replace them. You know you will never do it. Cause you own another bunch of shirts you love as much, and you're going to use those instead.
H&M adheres to a very good program, which recycles clothes we don't use anymore, and give us a voucher to spend in store our next visit. I think it is a brilliant way to get rid of worn out or ruined clothes.

Clothes You don't Wear Anymore
Then, there is this category of clothes you don't wear anymore. Maybe because they're out of fashion, maybe because they got bigger or smaller with time (or with a wrong washing machine program). Point is, you used to love them, but came up not wearing them anymore. If they sit in your closet unused, you don't need them.


So, those are the categories of clothes I am going to take off my closet. And the clothes I am going to be left with will be my starting point for the creation of my Spring Capsule Wardrobe. Let me know if you too are building your own Capsule Wardrobe, and which are the techniques you are using to stick to it without ending up buying a million clothes again!  

Comments

Popular Posts