Five Reasons for Visiting Inverness


I fell in love with Scotland since the first time I visited Edinburgh, which is, according to me, one of the most beautiful cities in the whole island. Recently I visited Inverness too, and I loved it as much. Scotland is rich of some of the most stunning landscapes I've ever seen, and I can't but suggest you to organise a trip up North and enjoy its beauty.

1 – A Cruise on Lochness
Inverness is a word coming from Gaelic and meaning “Mouth of River Ness”, as this river actually runs in this area. It will not be a surprise then if I'm telling you, the first reason to visit Inverness is to organise a trip on the most famous lake in Scotland, Lochness. I think everybody on this planet knows the legend of its mysterious creature hidden beneath its deep waters, a dinosaur-like animal that few people in the past swear of having spotted in the lake, but nobody actually ever get some proof of its existence. Despite Nessie being a legend or a true hidden creature, Lochness is a very beautiful place, and enjoying both a walk on the shore or a cruise on the lake is a must do.



2 – Visit Urquhart Castle
Urquhart Castle used to be one of the biggest fortresses built on the lake's shores. It used to be massive, rich, and stunning to see. The invasions of the past years destroyed the majority of the fortress, but some of the ruins still are there, and can be visited. They are absolutely beautiful, and I am suggesting you to have a visit before or after your cruise on Lochness.



3 – If You're an Outlander Fan
If you're an Outlander fan, a quick stop in Inverness and a tour around the small city is a must do. The story of Claire and Jamie actually starts in Inverness itself, and even though Craig Na Dun is a fictional place (yes, unfortunately the monolith place doesn't exists, it a fictional site invented by the author Diana Gabaldon), having a walk on the Graig Street Bridge or seeing the Inverness Cathedral will bring you within the book atmosphere in the same way.
PS: sometimes it is even possible to spot the TV Show crew around when they need to film the new episodes, so keep your eyes open!



4 – Leakey's Bookshop and Cafe
If you're a bookworm like I am, you absolutely need to jump into Leakey Bookshop and Cafe. Its one of the most magical and enchanting second hand bookshop I've ever seen, with its long tall shelves full of tomes, the fireplace in the middle of the room and the stairs running to the top of the room, a bit like Beauty and the Beast Disney movie. Its stunning, and you need to have a look – and enjoy a hot coffee after you purchased your book of choice in the top cafeteria.

Source Image


5 – Orkney Island Trip
If you're staying in Inverness for a couple of days, I would really recommend to have a one day trip to the Orkney Island, a group of small islands on the very top of Scotland. They are not only absolutely stunning, but they also are rich of the most enchanting historical sites, like the city of Kirkwall, the biggest city of the islands, or the impressive Standing Stones of Stenness and the Ring Of Brodgar Stone Circle and Henge, a Neolithic site perfectly preserved (and maybe the place Diana Gabaldon was inspired by when she created Craig Na Dun).

Source Image



So those are my top 5 to do things in Inverness. Let me know if you ever visited the city, if you loved it as I do, and if you have seen already some of the things I am suggesting. Also, remember to write me some other beautiful things to see and do in this area, if there any I have missed!
Take care you all xoxo  

Comments

Popular Posts